Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 8

I don't have a detailed post in me tonight. Today has been a great day. I have hit an emotional wall though. I love this place and these people have become like family. I know that seems almost impossible since I have literally only known them for a week. Mama Gail and Izzy told us today that when they found out we were coming they prayed daily if it wasn't in God's plan for us to come here that He would close the door, and if God had a purpose in us being here He would allow us to walk in and fit like a hand in a glove. That is the only explanation for how I can love these people so intensely...in this moment I am perfectly aligned in God's plan and with His heart. It doesn't make rational sense. I am way out of my comfort zone. I am a self-professed germophobic. Jason has joked and said that he cannot believe I haven't found a way to levitate myself in the bathroom here. I gag every time I brush my teeth in the children's bathroom because the smell of urine is so strong. Whenever I walk out my bedroom, my personal space no longer exists. Every inch of my body is covered by a child...within the first couple of hours here I had 5 children sitting in my lap, one one both arms, one rubbing their hands all through my hair and two with their cheeks pressed to mine on both sides. Tonight we sat around the table with Izzy, Jean and her son Alvain (photo below) and ate some type of concoction of macaroni and cheese that contained mince meat, carrots, vienna sausage, mashed potatoes and green beans followed by a dessert of pudding containing sponge cake, fruit cocktail and covered with sprinkles on plates that I know where not washed in the most sanitary of conditions...we were such a hodgepodge of people...but we laughed and had such sweet fellowship together.
Jean gave us a torn piece of paper before bed with a handwritten note saying how much our time here has been like a ray of sunshine to them. Many times you aren't able to see clearly in the present the reason for God asking something of you...There are many reasons that I cannot see why God would bring us so far for so short a time but there are countless reasons already that I clearly see the purpose in Him bringing us here.

We leave in the morning. Please pray for the children. It helped that when Brent and Courtney left we were still around to help with the transition. I just don't want it to be any more difficult on the staff. Please pray for them too. They work tirelessly and I think it has been a tremendous encouragement to them having new faces around and more hands to help out sure doesn't hurt either.

As much as it hurts to tear my heart away from this place, I cannot wait to see my kiddos. I must wish this little guy a Happy Birthday before I go...my sweet little lovie is 4 today...


"For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men." 1 Timothy 4:10

4 comments:

  1. We just had a sweet celebration with lovie for his birthday...we sang and blew out candles twice! Put pictures on jay's facebook and emailed him a video of the singing of happy birthday! Love you so much and can't wait to see you. Know that your babies here are fine and getting lots of lovin:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting and following your sweet story from LovinMuch. Alison gave me your email and I just sent you a message. Blessings, Amanda Brown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandy...words can not describe how much I've enjoyed reading your blog while in South Africa. Everyday I couldn't wait to pull it up and see what you wrote. I've cried with every post and my heart is broken for those children. I can't imagine how hard it is going to be to come back to this "pampered life" we live knowing how much suffering innocent children are enduring everyday around the world. We know it's happening but you've actually seen them, touched them, and literally laid your hands on them to pray for them. As hard as this will be for you and Jason, I know that God will provide a peace for your heart as you try to return to your "normal" way of life. I love you guys and praying for your safety on your trip home. I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandy and Jason, it has been such a joy to read your blog about this trip. God is using you two in a powerful way. It gives me joy in my heart to know someone personally that is so young and willing to give of themselves for the service of the Lord. I can only imagine what it is like to be so far from your comfort zone and so far from your precious babies. God has blessed us all through you and your willingness to GO AND SERVE.
    I know you can hardy wait to be home and kiss and hug on Henley, Brice and Hay Hay. They are so sweet.
    My prayer is that you all will have a safe flight home and God to continue to bless your efforts there in South Africa.
    In His,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete